Wednesday 13 January 2010

I have returned!

Dear All,

I have returned!! And the rain in Spain is definitely not staying on the plain – it is bucketing down outside! As always, it has been drama, drama, drama, since landing – but would I want it any other way?

I guess the major news is that I was offered another job, out of the blue, with more hours and a less than five minute walk from my flat! Plus it is classroom based teaching, definitely more my scene. I sent an e-mail to Linc with hopes of letting them down easily, but to my dismay received a most scathing response condemning my lack of professionalism and what’s worse, refusing to hire a friend of mine just because she is acquainted with me. All I can say is that it must have been a pretty stressful day. In the TEFL world teachers come and go; you can’t offer someone a part time job without knowing that they will accept more hours if it is offered to them. A girl needs to eat. Anyway, the job is great – I have pretty much been thrown into it this week, and have been panicking over lessons that I have had to plan on the day! I was also told at 4pm last night (before a 4-6pm class) that I had more hours (YAY) but I was teaching 8-10pm that night. With almost no time to prepare, I decided to recycle and old lesson plan. However, neither of the students showed. I can honestly say that being paid to teach is great, but being paid to do nothing wins every time…

I have yet to see everyone here as the rain really does persuade you to stay inside, but seeing my flatmates has been great. They are all stressing too as they begin the January job hunt. It definitely brought back the stress of finding my first job. The key is not to panic; hours take time and you will piece together a schedule. Plus in Sevilla, it is definitely more about who you know – use every resource you have!

We are heading out to this great Flamenco bar called Carboneria on Thursday night to celebrate our first week back. If you are ever in Sevilla you MUST come here. It looks like an old converted church and on some nights (definitely on Thursdays) they have live Flamenco music and sometimes live dancing. It is a really authentic experience but it is ALWAYS packed out, so get there before 10pm!

I managed to digg up a picture of me, Holly and Kate outside our old CELTA school!! Doesn't it bring back memories??!


I am looking forward to going a bit mad this weekend so I’m sure I will have more stories for next week!

Keep checking my blog!

Love Sonia

0 comments:

Post a Comment